Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Veterans' Day Thoughts



Well, there I am in 1967. The third bunk up. I didn’t need much in those days, just three meals a day and a place to put a picture of my love.

I’ll write more this week, and I want to tell you about the reading we had last week, but today I want to say a few words about Veterans’ Day.

As I look back over the history of my family I see the names of men who have served this country proudly. All of us knew the truth of the statement, “Freedom is not free.”

It was easy to pack my bags, so very long ago, and exciting to put on the uniform, but I didn’t know the anguish of the loved ones who waited, until I was a parent and my son was the warrior.

My prayers are for all parents of those in the military, and my heart is breaking for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

And to those men who taught me how to be a man, by word and deed, I just want to say that I am proud of you. I love you very much, and thank you for your service to this country.


No comments:

Post a Comment